The Radio Equipment Directive (RED) of the European Union (EU) was published in the Official Journal of the European Union in 2014, and is applicable to all electrical and electronic devices that intentionally emit and receive radio waves at frequencies below 3000 GHz. The Radio Equipment Directive replaces the EU’s Radio and Telecommunications Terminal (R&TTE) Directive (99/5/EC), which was originally published in 1999.
The general principles of the Radio Equipment Directive are similar to those of the R&TTE Directive, requiring compliance with essential requirements addressing health and safety, electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) and the efficient use of the radio spectrum. As with other EU directives, the Radio Equipment Directive relies on harmonised standards for specific technical requirements, and compliance with these requirements provides a presumption of conformity with the Directive’s essential requirements.
The requirements of the Radio Equipment Directive come into effect in June 2016, and radio equipment and devices placed on the market after that date will be required to comply with its requirements. Manufacturers of products that are compliant with the requirements of the R&TTE Directive will have until June 2017 to meet the requirements of the Radio Equipment Directive. New or derived products which fall within the scope of the RED may enter the market under a DoC citing the R&TTE until 13th June 2017.
Compliance with the requirements of the EU’s directives related to radio equipment is mandatory for all radio equipment and devices imported, marketed or sold in the EU. Products bearing the CE Mark are presumed compliant with the requirements of the Radio Equipment Directive as well as the requirements of all other applicable directives, thereby assuring legal access to all EU member states.
TÜV SÜD is an EU Notified Body authorised to evaluate products for compliance with the requirements of the EU’s Radio Equipment Directive and approve the use of the CE Mark. We offer a range of services to assist manufacturers and their agents to gain access to the EU marketplace, including:
- Interpretations of the requirements of EU directives
- Advice on which EU directives are applicable to your product
- Testing to the technical requirements of the Radio Equipment Directive
- Notified Body opinions and reports
- Advice on Declarations of Conformity and the application of CE marking to your product
We can conduct testing and assessments of radio equipment in our fully accredited laboratories or at your own site (testing at manufacturer’s premises, or TMP).
TÜV SÜD’s CE marking services for the EU’s Radio Equipment Directive include:
- Testing - TÜV SÜD is an EU Notified Body for the Radio Equipment Directive, and is accredited for radio and telecommunications testing under the IECEE’s CB scheme.
- Documentation - We can review the content of your product documentation and advise of any changes necessary to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Radio Equipment Directive.
- Regulations - TÜV SÜD technical experts keep up-to-date on worldwide regulations and standards applicable to radio and telecommunications equipment, and participate in a number of key industry groups and trade organisations.
- Other requirements - We can offer support in complying with the requirements of the Radio Equipment Directive in conjunction with other regulations and standards applicable to radio equipment and devices.
TÜV SÜD is a leading provider of comprehensive testing and certification services for all types of products. Our global network of technical experts, combined with our state-of-the-art testing laboratories, assures a single source solution for meeting all applicable requirements, standards and voluntary schemes. TÜV SÜD technical professionals are actively involved in international advisory boards and standards development activities, ensuring the most up-to-date knowledge of current and changing requirements.
Represented in over 800 locations worldwide, TÜV SÜD has an unsurpassed track record of meeting and exceeding the requirements and expectations of our client companies. The TÜV SÜD brand and our distinctive blue octagon mark are instantly recognised around the globe as symbols of quality and safety, and will increase customer confidence in your brand.